Monday, September 29, 2008

The Story of Stuff

Where stuff comes from...where stuff goes. It is important to understand if we are to find solutions to the crisis we are in. Yet most people in our country, never give it a second thought.

Sustainability seemed like a amorphous concept to me for a long time. I generally understood the word, but what exactly that concept meant in day to day life was hard to see. Getting a good understanding of how our civilizations macro-scale processes worked is hard to do in our daily lives. We get up, open that box of cereal, maybe stop by Starbucks on the way to work, drop by Walmart to pick up a few things after work...these mundane, everyday acts, all have a cumulative impact on our world.

My daughter, Erin, sent my wife and I a link to this video called "The Story of Stuff". I think it does an outstanding job of creating a visual definition of how our society operates, and succinctly lays out the massive problem with the process, namely it's linear nature.

Below is a teaser to the video



Here is a link to the video itself. Watch It.

No comments: